Nessy Reading & Spelling
Nessy Reading & Spelling
Nessy Reading & Spelling is an internet based program developed by a team of specialist teachers and psychologists and based on the Orton-Gillingham approach to reading. Developed for students aged 5-12 with reading differences such as dyslexia, Nessy is a powerful teaching tool for all students, including English as a second language learners.
100 independent learning lessons spread over ten engaging islands employ an intensive, multisensory, and sequential method of instruction based on the highly respected and researched Orton-Gillingham approach to reading & spelling. Lessons emphasize phonemic awareness, phonics, blending, sight words, fluency, spelling, vocabulary and comprehension. Each island consists of a series of lessons composed of strategy videos reinforced with games which teach fundamental reading & spelling skills.
How it Works
- Assessment Tools: Students begin by taking the Nessy Challenge to establish their baseline reading and spelling ability. The program then automatically assigns personalised reading and spelling targets.
- Reporting: Reporting delivers performance data and analysis in a simple to understand format, and colour-coding allows teachers to immediately identify and target areas of individual difficulty. What’s more, the initial evaluation helps to create a baseline score upon which progress is measured. To read our admin & reports guide click here.
- Individualised Approach: Working independently, students’ progress through a series of strategy videos, games and worksheets to complete their personal targets.
- Rewards: Student progress is rewarded by completing fun game-like activities that then unlock new games, characters and magical worlds.
- Development: After completing initial targets, students are reassessed, and new targets are set. Students continue working through the ten islands rapidly developing essential reading & spelling skills, whilst having fun!
- Strategies: Within the animations, Nessy embeds memory strategies that help students encode important rules.
How Often Should Nessy Reading & Spelling Be Used?
The extent to which Nessy is incorporated into the overall learning program will have an impact on the overall learning improvement that results. To achieve the best results you should try and spend 80 minutes a week on Nessy:
Technical Requirements & Support
- Robust broadband internet connection.
- Compatible with most mobile devices. Kindles, iPad Mini and devices older than the Samsung Tab4 or iPad 4 are not supported
- Chrome or Safari browser recommended. Not compatible with Internet Explorer.
- Digital User Guide available on the Nessy website provides detailed feature and function information from program start-up to student reporting. This invaluable resource is continually updated to reflect the latest changes made to the program. In addition to the guide, Nessy maintains a library of training videos and webinars to support teachers and administrators.